Step 5 is the Powerful Impact stage, the finish line, the top of the mountain, the ideal role/outcome/business/goal attainment. This is where you are operating with powerful impact that matters, that makes a positive difference, a valuable contribution. This is when you know you are winning. There are constant intentional and unintentional consequences of our actions. The ripple effect of all thoughts, feelings and behaviours is a thing. Everything we do has impact. Our intention behind the action matters.
Any or all of these elements are present when you are communicating, leading and influencing with powerful impact:
Evidence within yourself:
- Deep self awareness
- Leading with passion and purposeImproved self-regulation which means you respond more often than react impulsively
- Empathy and compassion for others – not sympathy or enmeshment
- Clearer thinking processes under pressure
- Speaking under pressure without losing focus
- Increased and sustained motivation and inspiration
- Higher productivity and performance
- Sustaining the Vision in the face of setbacks
- Staying calm and controlled when feeling self-doubt and fear
Evidence in your external environment:
- Richer, healthier, reciprocal relationships because of better listening and social skills
- Leadership excellence experienced by others: respect, recognition, appreciation, promotion, renumeration, engagement, transparent feedback
- Improved people performance: people take more risks, safe-to-fail
- Greater talent attraction and retention
- Better business growth and sales conversions
- Winning, inclusive Workplace culture
Powerful impact is achieved when the leader’s Vision is brought to life by empowering the potential in themselves and their people. The Catalyst for Change is only as powerful as the leader’s belief and desire to win. The famous quote by Ghandi: “Be the change you want to see in the world.” The journey from Catalyst for Change to Powerful Impact is often tougher than that you think it’s going to be and take longer than you think it should. Is it worth it? You are the only person who can answer that. What is the worst thing that can happen if you take the risk and make your Vision your priority? The downside to not taking this risk, and not taking action when that Catalyst stirs, is living a life of quiet desperation and perhaps never knowing what you are truly capable of.
To lead is to serve. There are times when command-and-control vs decisions by committee is required. Increasingly today, great leadership is characterised by transparency, empathy and collaboration. By investing in your own and your team’s professional development journey to hone the skills of powerful impact, you are amplifying your Vision and Potential that produce outcomes and experiences of Impact that matters. Today more than ever before HOW you lead may just be the difference that matters.